St James' Parish now takes in Stones Corner, Greenslopes, part of Buranda, some of Annerley and a small part of Coorparoo. The main roads that run through the parish are Old Cleveland Road, Logan Road and Cornwall Street. We would be considered as an inner-city parish now. Because of our convenient location and other factors, St James is a popular Mass centre for many people who are not resident in the Parish.
The Good Samaritan Sisters opened the school in 1916 and later in the same year resided in Langlands where Villanova College is now situated. The present church was opened in 1925. Since then a new convent has been built and the present parish hall in 1983.
The spirit that the Augustinians have given to St James can be summed up in one word - hospitality. Their welcome is always sincere, no one appears to be turned away when they come for help, they respond to the needs of their people with concern and readiness especially the sick and the dying.
Mass is celebrated in the church every day. Attendances total 500 to 600 at weekend Masses, and 60 for weekday Masses. Our Church building is popular for weddings (brides seem to like the long aisle to walk along!).
Our concerns include the increasing age of parishioners and ministering to their special needs. During the recent decade the number of refugees especially from Africa has increased. Whilst they are fairly generously helped by the government, they tend to look to the church in quite a variety of ways.
The original St James’ Primary school building which opened in 1916 has been demolished and in recent years a new school was erected on the old tennis courts at the rear of the church. Before, after school and vacation care was based in a fine residence, previously owned by the parish, on the Rialto, Old Cleveland Road corner. There is no shortage of clients for this facility.
The Parish in 2014 is staffed by Fr Brian Fitzpatrick OSA (parish moderator) and Fr Jaison Nedumparambil OSA; Ms Trish Rashad is the parish’s secretary.
Sunday Mass times:
Vigil: 6.00 pm Sunday: 7.30 am, 9.00 am and 6.00 pm
PO Box 1051 (165 Old Cleveland Rd) Coorparoo DC Qld 4151 Phone: (07) 3397 1671 Fax: (07) 3394 3409
Website: www.stjames-coorparoo.org.au E-mail: osastjames@bne,catholic.net.au