One feature of the church’s architecture for almost five decades has been the white-painted cross atop its tiled roof (see photo below). The passage of time, sunshine and rain has caught up with this metal structure, and in June 2015 it gave way to an identical replacement; one advantage of the new version is that it comes with illumination in the evenings.
St Kieran’s Church has since June 2006 been the parish church of the Catholic Community of North Harbour. This new parish was a union of the previous adjacent parishes of Manly Vale (founded 1952) and Balgowlah (founded 1929). Before 1952 the Manly Vale area was a distant part of the Manly Parish.
St Kieran’s Church will have its golden jubilee in 1968, and remains structurally sound. Some renovations took place in the mid-1990s, including the removal of some confessionals, pew revarnishing, a complete re-painting, more leadlight windows, increased lighting both inside and outside the building, new ventilation and waterproofing, a new sound system, an electronic organ, and more security measures. Further changes were made in June-July 2014, including improved heating and ventilation, the shifting of the choir area, the re-location of the baptismal fount into the sanctuary, repainting and new carpeting.
And now with the cross at the very top of the building brand new, the entire building can face its golden jubilee in 2018 without appearing either out-of-date or old!