With the recent comprehensive renovations of St Kieran’s Church in the Sydney suburb of Manly Vale, additional leadlight (“stained glass”) windows were installed through financial donations of parishioners.
The narrow windows (pictured below) come in the form of five panels. The three central panels represent St Kieran, the hermit bishop of Clonmacnoise in sixth-century Ireland; they depict an apple tree flanked by a fox and deer. The outer panels refer to the ocean, beaches, and musical notation – reminiscent of the scenery of Sydney’s northern beaches and the fact that the parish music and vocal groups now stand near these windows when enhancing the liturgy.
These additional leadlight windows were designed by a Irish-born Sydney woman, Paddy Robinson (photo at top left), She had been involved in the design of the earlier leadlight panels when St Kieran’s Church was built almost fifty years ago in 1968.
St Kieran’s Church is one of two churches in the North Harbour Parish of the Diocese of Broken Bay. The parish officially began in July 2006 when it replaced the previous adjacent parishes of Manly Vale and Balgowlah. The Augustinian Order has served at Manly Vale since the former Manly Vale Parish began in 1952, which was sixteen years before the present St Kieran’s Church was built.